Share This On:
(SNO) — There seems to be no solution to the myriad of problems plaguing the St. Lucia Fish Marketing Corporation.
That’s according to staff members of the Corporation, who for the past few months, have been receiving their salaries late.
“Things are getting worst at the Corporation. There seems to be no solution to the problems it is experiencing,” a staff told St. Lucia News Online, adding that the Corporation lacks proper management.
The situation has the staff of the Corporation hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.
Key players in the fishing industry have also expressed the view that the Corporation has been badly managed over the years, and have blamed both the current and former administrations for the situation.
Both administrations over the years have changed the management of the organisation upon assuming office.
A source in the industry said the Corporation is having a very difficult time servicing its debts.
Some years ago, the former administration had to come to the rescue of the Corporation by wiping out its debts which had amounted to several million dollars which it had owed to a bank.
It is this financial problem which the Corporation has been grappling with for many years, that has resulted in it being unable to pay fisherfolks monies owed to them on a timely basis.
In the meantime, staff members of the Corporation are hoping that the late payments of their salaries do not become a trend.
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM
- Prime Minister assures former Majestic Industries workers that their request will be granted December 9, 2019 3:28 PM
- Cellma training at OKEU December 9, 2019 12:44 PM
- Jade Mountain food gets top French honors December 9, 2019 9:30 AM
- DLP sweeps general election in Dominica December 6, 2019 9:12 PM
- Hallucine leads the ARC fleet into Saint Lucia December 6, 2019 3:56 PM