Share This On:
“Hard work and dedication brought me here,” are the words 16-year-old Babonneau Secondary School student Kimani Melius has said led to his qualification for the West Indies Under-19 cricket team.
He will play as an opening batsman and is currently preparing for the upcoming one-day series in New Zealand soon.
Melius, who is from Boguis, has been a cricketer from an early age, competing in local tournaments by the age of 13. His skills on the field sparked the interest of local cricket authorities who found no difficulty in taking the task of helping to unleash his potential.
“Well it’s always a nice accomplishment representing a West Indies Under-19 team. That’s [something] everybody dreams about. Hard work and perseverance has brought me there and I will continue working hard on my game and continue helping others to better themselves,” he told DBS Television.
The teen athlete said that his mentor is Indian team captain, Virat Kohli.
“My inspirational figure is Virat Kohli because he loves the sport and he always pushes his fitness and always wants the best out of his players,” he said.
In commenting on his interests in the game, Melius said that he finds the one-day and test cricket segments of the sport a bit more appealing than that of the 20-20 aspect, though it normally generates more popularity and excitement.
- BTC receives new laptops November 21, 2019 10:19 AM
- US representative to OAS says political situation in Dominica ‘worrisome’ November 21, 2019 8:29 AM
- OBE Award recipients get high praise from PM Chastanet November 20, 2019 4:00 PM
- Anse La Raye fire victim gets donation in rebuilding efforts November 20, 2019 2:52 PM
- Bishop of Roseau describes situation in Dominica after unrest as “sad” November 20, 2019 2:46 PM
- Sandals team members receive first class health care on the job November 20, 2019 12:12 PM
- Showers, isolated thunderstorms expected during the next 24 hours November 20, 2019 11:14 AM
- Jamaican Rose Hudson-Wilkin becomes Church of England’s first black female bishop November 20, 2019 2:17 AM