Share This On:
Fourteen-year-old Kimani Melius was the star of the show as the young Windward Islands earned another big win in the West Indies Cricket Board Under-17 Tournament.
Winning by over 100 runs again, the Windwards beat Guyana at Louis D’Or.
The Windwards batted first, and Kimani, opening the batting, scored 76 from 122 balls, leading his team to a total of 237/8. The Babonneau Secondary schoolboy smashed five fours and three sixes, giving the islanders a second consecutive big score.
Kimani and opening partner Johann Jeremiah gave the Windwards a start of 84 runs. Fellow Saint Lucians Johnel Eugene and Nick Elibox were not big contributors with the bat this time around, after both having gone past 20 against Barbados.
But the bowling of Lee Louisy consolidated the win for the Windwards. He grabbed 4-26 from 7.1 overs, whilst fellow spinner Narun Singh snared 3-21 from seven overs, as Guyana were bowled out for 134 in 38.1 overs to give the Windwards a win by 103 runs.
At the same time, last-man-in Sanjay Williams kept his nerve to secure a one-wicket victory for Jamaica over hosts Trinidad & Tobago at Shaw Park in the Tobago capital which also fortified their position in the top echelons of the tournament table.
At Canaan, Barbados beat the Leeward Islands by nine wickets in a low-scoring encounter.
The players took a break from play Thursday before the action resumes on Friday, when Jamaica face Leewards at Louis D’Or, Windwards tackle T&T at Canaan and Barbados meet Guyana at Shaw Park.
More Sports Stories
- West Indies fined for slow over-rate in Sri Lanka ODI defeat February 24, 2020
- A small team making a gigantic splash at the Uana Swimming Cup February 24, 2020
- Update on National Independence Tennis Tournament February 21, 2020
- Digicel SPLT2020 SPL4 fixtures February 21, 2020
- WIPA extends sympathies and best wishes to Oshane Thomas February 19, 2020
- Call for Congress of the Sports and Combat Sambo Federation Saint Lucia February 13, 2020
- National Independence Tennis Tournament 2020 February 11, 2020
- Digicel SPLT2020 draft February 11, 2020