Share This On:
(ESPNCricinfo) — In another reshuffle in West Indies cricket, CWI president Ricky Skerritt has announced Kieron Pollard as the new ODI and T20I captain.
Pollard has not played an ODI in nearly three years, but CWI has decided to give him the captaincy after Jason Holder led them in the format recently in the World Cup and against India at home.
Skerritt made the announcement in Trinidad on Monday, after the conclusion of a quarterly board meeting in Tobago. He said the board was following the “best possible pratices for best possible outcomes”.
“Jason Holder was called by me yesterday morning and we spoke,” Skerritt said at the press conference while sitting next to Pollard. “He’s a very important force and is still going to be our red-ball captain.
Holder will now compete for a place in Pollard’s team and use this as an opportunity to become a better cricketer. Pollard is the right man at the right time to take our white-ball teams forward.
“What impressed me the most about Pollard was his keenness and commitment to give back to the game.”
Pollard’s first assignment as captain will be against Afghanistan in November in India where they will play three T20Is and three ODIs before a one-off Test.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM