Share This On:
(GIS) – The Ministry of Education, through the Saint Lucia Education Quality Improvement Project (EQUIP), has made systematic efforts to enhance the education sector with the aim of developing the country’s human resource, said Education Minister Hon. Dr. Gail Rigobert.
During the debate on the Estimates of Revenue and Expenditure, the education minister noted that the Caribbean Development Bank had provided a loan of USD$6 million, and a grant of USD$0.7 million to undertake some critical intervention in the education sector. Dr. Rigobert said the overall objective is to improve the quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of the education system, one that is responsive to the needs of diverse learners, and the demands of the labour market.
“The objective is the expansion, rehabilitation, and furnishing of selected institutions so as to improve the quality, relevance and effectiveness of instruction across the sector, including the Sir Arthur Lewis Community College,” she said.
The Government of Saint Lucia has secured resources to undertake a comprehensive infrastructural audit of the SALCC.
“The EQUIP also allows for the completion of designs, finalization of construction drawings, bidding documents, and construction supervision for SALCC. Overall, the project addresses the needs of the early childhood education sector, the tertiary sector, but very importantly, the project also addresses the needs of the vulnerable sub sector of special needs education.”
Meanwhile the education minister pointed out that upon the comprehensive infrastructural audit of schools including energy climate resilience audits, the Ministry of Education will make available the necessary financing to restore and rehabilitate the island’s schools.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM