Share This On:
(TRINIDAD EXPRESS) — Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar wants Government to take decisive action to maintain the safety and security of citizens in the face of the flood disaster.
“The torrential rains that we have experienced over the past three days and the resultant catastrophic flooding has transformed areas of our country into virtual disaster areas” she said.
“The government must act now and forthwith activate the Disasters Measures Act to allow law enforcement and agencies of national security to have the ability to save the lives of our citizens, rescue those marooned and provide safety and security for our citizens who are victims of one of our country’s worst natural disasters”.
Persad-Bissessar said the rains predicted “but unfortunately absolutely no steps were taken by the government to prevent and avert the suffering and hardship that has been inflicted upon our citizens. The response of the government has been pathetic and overly bureaucratic and has done nothing to assist our citizens whose lives and property are seriously at risk”
She said: “The authorities need the backing of the law to mandatorily evacuate areas immediately in order to save the lives of our citizens, rescue those marooned and provide safety and security for those who are victims of the devastating floods. Law enforcement needs to access those areas that are being looted to protect the property of our citizens and to assist those who may be risking their lives to find places of safety”.
Persad-Bisessar called upon the Government to activate section 2 of the Disasters Measures Act, Chapter 16:50 and call the President to declare the following areas Disaster Areas under the Disasters Areas Act, Chap. 16:50:
• Aranguez/Warner Village
• Valsayn/St Joseph
• St Augustine South/Piarco/St Helena
• Kelly Village/Warrenville
• Las Lomas/San Rafael
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM
- Uncertainty as civil unrest continues in Dominica December 4, 2019 9:56 AM
- Police fire live ammunition, tear gas in Dominica protest (See video) December 3, 2019 4:16 PM
- Saint Lucian sculptor Jallim Eudovic to receive major Caribbean Award December 3, 2019 2:16 PM
- Botham Jean’s brother receives police award December 3, 2019 1:45 PM