Share This On:
(SNO) – Saint Lucian sprint sensation, Julien Alfred has won big in the 60-meter dash at the FastTrack Collegiate Opener in Houston, Texas.
The competition took place last Saturday.
She placed first in the dash with a time of 7.18 seconds.
This put Alfred among the top 10 under 20 sprinters of all time.
The 18-year-old athlete won the race by 0.6 seconds, beating Tatyana Bryant of Texas Southern who clocked 7.76 seconds.
Prime Minister, Allen Chastanet, congratulated Alfred on her success, describing her win as “an incredible feat” since she has just recovered from a hamstring injury.
Alfred joined the University of Texas Longhorns women’s track and field team this year.
An alumna of Leon Hess Comprehensive in Saint Lucia and St. Catherine High in Jamaica, the much-sought-after Alfred holds national junior records for the 100m and 200m races.
She was the first to win a gold medal for Saint Lucia in the Commonwealth Youth Games and the first Saint Lucian to receive a medal at the Youth Olympic games.
Following her recent success Alfred has been heavily recruited by American colleges and universities.
- Alleged non-payment of salaries to NHC staff being investigated January 27, 2020 3:15 PM
- Prime Minister talks improvements in education January 27, 2020 9:37 AM
- Castries Mayor meets LGBTQ representatives January 27, 2020 9:17 AM
- Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash January 26, 2020 6:04 PM
- Ministry of Agriculture promotes green economy January 24, 2020 2:09 PM
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition announces winners January 24, 2020 9:52 AM
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM