Share This On:
(SNO) — Saint Lucian sprinter Julien Alfred set her latest national record over the weekend, as the 2019 Big 12 Conference Championships concluded on the Texas Tech University campus, in the Sports Performance Center at Lubbock.
Turning 18 this year, the reigning Commonwealth Youth Games champion and Youth Olympics silver medallist in the women’s 100m, got her long-anticipated indoor career off to a start on one of the biggest stages in collegiate track and field.
In the preliminaries of the women’s 60-metre dash, the St. Catherine High School (Jamaica) and Leon Hess Comprehensive (Saint Lucia) alumna turned in a time of 7.36 seconds, seventh overall. That time qualified her for the event finals, alongside teammates Kennedy Flannel and Teahna Daniels.
Daniels, a senior, would go on to win in 7.22 seconds, just outside the meet record. Flannel, a freshman, was third in 7.27. And fellow freshman Alfred turned in a 7.38-second run for third.
Either of those two runs would have sufficed to better the 7.41 by Shanne Thomas in February 2016 at the WSA Open. Prior, Pernell Joseph had run progressively faster during her time in the collegiate ranks, having first set the record at 7.51 in February 2011. But before Pernell, the indoor sprint mark had been held by the legendary Michelle Baptiste, who ran 7.55 back in 1999. Given this was Alfred’s first time on the boards, expect her to go much faster, God willing.
For the second straight year, the Texas women’s team were crowned the Big 12 Indoor Track & Field Team Champions.
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 18, 2019 6:04 AM
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM