Share This On:
(SNO) – High Court Judge in Dominica, Bernie Stephenson, has denied an application to grant injunction to stop the holding of general election in Dominica.
Stephenson handed down her ruling on Tuesday.
In her ruling she stated that once the president of Dominica issues a writ to hold election, the court is unable to intervene.
General election is expected to be held in Dominica on December 6.
Concerned Citizens Movement (CCM), a group seeking electoral reform in Dominica, filed the application in the High Court of Justice in Roseau to have general election deferred until reforms are implemented.
The application was filed by president of the CCM, Loftus Durand and other activist calling for electoral reform.
They are seeking an injunction restrain the defendants from holding general elections on the 6th of December 2019 or on any date prior to 5th February 2020.
Court documents show the application was filed “to the High Court of Justice for inter alia an order restraining the Electoral Commission and the Chief Elections Officer from conducting general elections on the 6th of December due to (i) the absence of a verified and accurate voter’s list (ii) refusal of the Electoral Commission and Chief Elections Officer to hear objections which were filed within the time limits for so filing before printing the Final Revised List of electors; and (iii) the publication of an erroneous and non existent nomination date in the Gazzete in breach of the madatory provisions of Section 13 of the House of Assembly Elections Act.”
The group is expected to appeal the matter.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM