Share This On:
The community has a rich and proud legacy of producing renowned folk musicians and cultural groups such Joseph “Rameau” Poleon MBE, Gregory Sinaise, Frederick “Arva” Jn Maria, Avot Sevis, Chant a Fire, Wanjman and Belle Talent Dancers. Also, Belle Vue prides itself on having the largest and most active La Rose group in St. Lucia.
On this fourth occasion of hosting Jounen Kweyol, we will celebrate Creole Heritage Month under the theme “Kilte En Nou”. Accordingly, several activities have been planned with a heavy emphasis on showcasing the musical talents of the community. Some of these activities include: Mizik En San Nou and Fete Kweyol En Belle Vue. The hosting of Indian Heritage Day in Belle Vue is expected to add a new and fascinating dimension to Creole Heritage Month considering that previous observations have mainly focused on St. Lucia’s African heritage. Other events for the month are as follows: La Jeuness Kweyol Pageant, L’ecole Kweyol, storytelling and games night, sewenal, river washing day and Jounen Kweyol.
Towards the aim of hosting an authentic and culturally rich Jounen Kweyol, the Belle Vue Jounen Kweyol Committee is humbly asking residents of Belle Vue and environs to register with the committee to serve as volunteers to assist in the planning and implementation of Creole Heritage Month activities. Also, the committee is appealing to residents to donate antique tools, appliances, furniture, clothing and ornaments to facilitate the hosting of an indoor exhibition.
Jounen Kweyol booths are now on sale for $250.00. Interested persons are to contact Mr Kendall Elva at 519 0580. Vendors are required to make payments for their public health license at the Department of Environmental Health and liquor license at the Second District Court Office in Vieux-Fort.
- FRC reflects on contributions of late Caribbean cultural stalwarts
- Senator Belrose: “All In” Independence theme now a model in COVID-19 fight
- FRC postpones AGM due to coronavirus pandemic
- Cancellation of the 2020 FRC Saint Lucia Studies Conference
- Nobel Laureate Festival Celebrating Excellence: Vision 20/20 excels
- Walcott Open House
- Nobel Laureate Festival to launch, Wednesday
- St. Lucian community in London gather for National Day
- Valuing our heritage: Through the eyes of communities