Share This On:
(BARBADOS NATION) — Early yesterday afternoon, personnel from the French Navy reported to their counterparts at the Barbados Coast Guard that a jet ski bearing the registration number of the one that went missing on June 24, with two American tourists aboard, was spotted off the coast of Guadeloupe.
However, French authorities said there was no sign of the couple, Oscar Suarez, 32, or Magdalena Devil, 25.
The dispatch from the French authorities to the Barbados Coast Guard said in part:
“Be informed that this Saturday July 6, at 1645Z, the French navy ship Ventôse has localised the jet ski registered 162H, in position 15°53.82N – 061°40.43W. This is in Guadeloupe, between les Saintes islands and Guadeloupe (see map), 305°/Pointe à Vache/2.7 NM.
“It seems to be the jet ski involved in your search and rescue operation, concerning two US citizens (Magdalena Devil and Oscar Suarez).
“Can you confirm this is the missing jet ski?
“We have tasked (a) French rescue boat to recover it and tow it.”
Prime Minister Mia Mottley and Minister of Tourism Kerrie Symmonds have been informed of the discovery and local authorities will make immediate contact with the families to inform them of the development.
Last Monday Prime Minister Mottley met with the families of the missing couple at Ilaro Court and expressed regret at the unfortunate events and invited them to return to this island anytime over the next year at Government’s expense, if it would assist them in bringing closure to the matter.
Meanwhile, police investigations into the disappearance continue.
- Suspected case of coronavirus in BVI – Local health officials thrust into ’emergency meeting’ February 27, 2020 3:43 PM
- PAHO calls for stepped up preparedness for Coronavirus February 27, 2020 3:03 PM
- Dr. Kenny Anthony appeals for assistance for fire victims in Vieux-Fort February 27, 2020 2:19 PM
- WASCO responds to Richard Frederick’s statement on ‘Can I Help You’ program February 27, 2020 2:14 PM
- Castries Constituency Council workers return to work February 27, 2020 9:05 AM
- RSS to present crime scene investigations equipment to St. Lucia police February 27, 2020 8:57 AM
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM