Share This On:
(BARBADOS NATION) — Early yesterday afternoon, personnel from the French Navy reported to their counterparts at the Barbados Coast Guard that a jet ski bearing the registration number of the one that went missing on June 24, with two American tourists aboard, was spotted off the coast of Guadeloupe.
However, French authorities said there was no sign of the couple, Oscar Suarez, 32, or Magdalena Devil, 25.
The dispatch from the French authorities to the Barbados Coast Guard said in part:
“Be informed that this Saturday July 6, at 1645Z, the French navy ship Ventôse has localised the jet ski registered 162H, in position 15°53.82N – 061°40.43W. This is in Guadeloupe, between les Saintes islands and Guadeloupe (see map), 305°/Pointe à Vache/2.7 NM.
“It seems to be the jet ski involved in your search and rescue operation, concerning two US citizens (Magdalena Devil and Oscar Suarez).
“Can you confirm this is the missing jet ski?
“We have tasked (a) French rescue boat to recover it and tow it.”
Prime Minister Mia Mottley and Minister of Tourism Kerrie Symmonds have been informed of the discovery and local authorities will make immediate contact with the families to inform them of the development.
Last Monday Prime Minister Mottley met with the families of the missing couple at Ilaro Court and expressed regret at the unfortunate events and invited them to return to this island anytime over the next year at Government’s expense, if it would assist them in bringing closure to the matter.
Meanwhile, police investigations into the disappearance continue.
- Saint Lucia negotiates and signs new Bilateral Air Services Agreement December 12, 2019 3:06 PM
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019 2:17 PM
- RBC announces sale of Eastern Caribbean banking operations December 12, 2019 9:58 AM
- SSDF signs agreement for Vieux Sucieux Water Supply Expansion Sub- Project December 12, 2019 9:51 AM
- Ministry of Equity implements new initiative to boost CASP ‘Host a Centre Day 2019’ December 12, 2019 9:21 AM
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM