Share This On:
(BARBADOS NATION) — Early yesterday afternoon, personnel from the French Navy reported to their counterparts at the Barbados Coast Guard that a jet ski bearing the registration number of the one that went missing on June 24, with two American tourists aboard, was spotted off the coast of Guadeloupe.
However, French authorities said there was no sign of the couple, Oscar Suarez, 32, or Magdalena Devil, 25.
The dispatch from the French authorities to the Barbados Coast Guard said in part:
“Be informed that this Saturday July 6, at 1645Z, the French navy ship Ventôse has localised the jet ski registered 162H, in position 15°53.82N – 061°40.43W. This is in Guadeloupe, between les Saintes islands and Guadeloupe (see map), 305°/Pointe à Vache/2.7 NM.
“It seems to be the jet ski involved in your search and rescue operation, concerning two US citizens (Magdalena Devil and Oscar Suarez).
“Can you confirm this is the missing jet ski?
“We have tasked (a) French rescue boat to recover it and tow it.”
Prime Minister Mia Mottley and Minister of Tourism Kerrie Symmonds have been informed of the discovery and local authorities will make immediate contact with the families to inform them of the development.
Last Monday Prime Minister Mottley met with the families of the missing couple at Ilaro Court and expressed regret at the unfortunate events and invited them to return to this island anytime over the next year at Government’s expense, if it would assist them in bringing closure to the matter.
Meanwhile, police investigations into the disappearance continue.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM