Former Member of Parliament (MP) for Micoud North, Jeannine Compton-Antoine, signed a historic agreement with her supporters on Sunday, paving the way for a new type of representation.
The agreement is a binding document between Compton-Antoine and her supporters, which stipulates that her representation should be based on the principles of ‘good governance.’
The signing took place at the intersections of Philadelphia row in Micoud, in the presence of her supporters, her mother Lady Janice Compton, family and friends.
The daughter of former Prime Minister of Saint Lucia Sir John Compton, has decided to contest the next election as an independent candidate again, following calls to do so.
Compton-Antoine represented the Micoud North constituency in the House of Assembly from 2007 to 2011. She won the seat for the United Workers Party (UWP) in a 2007 by-election.
She resigned from the UWP in 2011 and continued to serve as an independent MP.
She lost the seat in the 2011 general election to Dr. Gale Rigobert who secured 42.23 percent of the votes, while she got 33.88 percent.
Some of her critics have suggested that she will not be able to properly represent the people of that constituency, if she wins the seat this time as an independent.
However, in an exclusive interview with St. Lucia News Online (SNO), Compton-Antoine debunked those statements, saying she will be in a better position to serve the people of Micoud North, especially since she will not be tied to any party or have to toe to any party lines.
Below is the full contract that was signed on Sunday:
THE PEOPLES’ CONTRACT
THIS CONTRACT is made this the 24th day of APRIL Two Thousand and Sixteen
BETWEEN: THE PEOPLE OF THE CONSTITUENCY OF MICOUD NORTH (hereinafter referred to as the “THE PEOPLE”) acting herein and represented by Cynthia DEROSES and duly authorized to act herein by THE PEOPLE of the one part,
AND: JEANNINE COMPTON-ANTOINE, CANDIDATE FOR MICOUD NORTH (hereinafter referred to as JEANNINE) of the other part,
THE PEOPLE desire representation based on the principles of good governance including but not limited to accountability, transparency and the rule of law and have asked JEANNINE to offer herself as a candidate for the constituency of Micoud North in the next general election;
JEANNINE wishes to continue to serve community and constituency and wishes to ensure accountable, transparent, consensus governance and excellent representation for Micoud North, JEANNINE accepts the invitation of the PEOPLE to represent them and agrees to offer herself as a candidate for the constituency of Micoud North in the next general election;
Should JEANNINE be so honored as to become the Parliamentary Representative for the constituency of Micoud North, the parties acknowledge and agree that:
- THE PEOPLE want to be empowered through equitable, inclusive local and national government.
- JEANNINE will engage the people, as valued stakeholders in the constituency, by :
- Collaborating with community representatives and other local, national and international organizations and bodies.
- Being available on a regular and consistent basis (at her constituency office or other suitable locations) to dialogue with the constituents individually and collectively as they may wish.
- Holding herself accountable to the constituency for fair and transparent government by reporting to the constituency on a quarterly basis and to the national parliament on the following:
- constituency projects
- Conducting herself, in and outside of Parliament in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Being punctual and well prepared when representing the constituency.
- Conducting the business of THE PEOPLE in a non-partisan manner.
- THE PEOPLE desire sustainable economic development for the constituency of Micoud North.
- JEANNINE will ensure sustainable economic development of the constituency of Micoud North by :
(a) Developing, as a top priority, within the first 90 days of government, in collaboration with the constituents, local and national agencies, a social and economic plan for the constituency with emphasis on employment and entrepreneurship growth.
(b) Presenting the social and economic plan to THE PEOPLE, relevant governing bodies, potential funding agencies and business collaborators.
(c) Ensuring the social and economic plan is endorsed by all constituents prior to presentation to other organizations.
(d) Implementing the social and economic plan in a timely and efficient manner together with constituents and various local, national and international stakeholders.
- THE PEOPLE desire sustainable social development for the constituency of Micoud North.
- JEANNINE will ensure the sustainable social development of the constituency of Micoud North by :
- Providing genuine support to enforcement agencies and social agencies including the Police, the Judiciary, Social Transformation and Local Government Officers, the Family Court, the Crisis Centre, Health Care Providers, the Churches and non governmental and community based organizations to ensure the general safety and the spiritual and physical wellbeing of the constituents, especially of those most vulnerable.
- Supporting and developing recreational services in collaboration with various social agencies and community groups, to provide viable outlets in particular to the youth and the aged.
- Developing and implementing social programs in collaboration with the social agencies, schools, churches and community and non-governmental organizations to ensure the holistic development of constituents.
- Revitalizing critical cultural activities that will foster community building and pride and encourage creativity and entrepreneurship within the various communities.
- Engaging constituents, agencies and land owners to ensure that all historic sites in the constituency are utilized sustainably to so that they are available for generations to come.
- THE PEOPLE desire a safe, clean and healthy environment in which to live and work.
- JEANNINE acknowledges the importance of the environment for the holistic development of the constituency and will:
- Collaborate with constituents and local, national and international agencies to ensure the environment is used in a sustainable manner in accordance with international best practices.
- Include a sustainable environmental component as part of the social and economic plan, to ensure the sustainable use and protection of critical landscapes and water bodies, both fresh water and marine.
THE PEOPLE agree further to:
- Support and participate in the development and implementation of the social and economic plan.
- To attend meetings held by JEANNINE and agencies aimed at furthering the development of the constituency.
- Support, collaborate and participate in programs aimed at developing the constituency and constituents.
- To hold JEANNINE accountable to the terms of this contract.
- Appraise the performance of JEANNINE, annually, at a meeting to be held at the end of each financial year.
- Should JEANNINE fail to fulfill her obligations herein, THE PEOPLE may choose to
hold her accountable and DEMAND performance of this CONTRACT.
- Should JEANNINE fail in performance of the CONTRACT the PEOPLE of Micoud North may request by petition, bearing the signatures of at least three quarters (3/4) of the voting population of Micoud North, that she resign from the office of Parliamentary Representative for Micoud North. Upon receipt of a petition bearing the signatures of at least three quarters (3/4) of the voting population of Micoud North JEANNINE shall demit office.