Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) — An Ohio woman was sentenced to 37 years in prison on Tuesday for suffocating three of her boys to death because she was jealous over attention they got from her husband.
Brittany Pilkington received the sentence as part of a plea deal that prevented her from facing the death penalty for the three separate killings that began in July 2014. Her trial would have begun next year.
The mother, who suffered “mental defects” from years of physical and sexual abuse, was arrested in August 2015 for the death of her 3-month old boy, Noah.
She then admitted in an interview with prosecutors to using blankets to suffocate Noah and her two other sons — 4-year-old Gavin, who died in April 2015, and 3-month old Nial, who died in July 2014.
The mother told authorities she committed the crimes because she was jealous of the attention her husband gave to her son, but not to her or their daughter, Hailey.
Hailey was taken into custody by a child welfare agency following Noah’s death.
Logan County Prosecutor Eric Stewart said the state’s own experts felt the death penalty wasn’t acceptable for Pilkington due to her “mental defects.”
One of Pilkington’s attorneys, Kort Gatterdam, said the mother suffered lead poisoning and years of physical and sexual abuse.
Following Noah’s death, Pilkington’s husband, Joseph Pilkington, was charged with sexual battery for impregnating Brittany in 2009 when she was just 17.
Before his marriage to Brittany, Joseph was in a relationship with her mother.
More International News Stories
- Nigeria is trying 47 men arrested in a hotel under its anti-gay laws December 12, 2019
- Santa hacker speaks to girl via smart camera December 12, 2019
- Chile missing plane: Human remains found, governor says December 12, 2019
- Saudi Aramco replaces Apple as world’s largest listed company December 12, 2019
- Chicago prosecutor to vacate 1,000 marijuana convictions December 12, 2019
- Sex criminal sentenced to life throws pitcher, hits judge in head December 12, 2019
- Pakistan protest: Patients die as lawyers ransack Lahore hospital December 12, 2019
- General election 2019: Voters head to polls across the UK December 12, 2019