Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) — An Ohio woman was sentenced to 37 years in prison on Tuesday for suffocating three of her boys to death because she was jealous over attention they got from her husband.
Brittany Pilkington received the sentence as part of a plea deal that prevented her from facing the death penalty for the three separate killings that began in July 2014. Her trial would have begun next year.
The mother, who suffered “mental defects” from years of physical and sexual abuse, was arrested in August 2015 for the death of her 3-month old boy, Noah.
She then admitted in an interview with prosecutors to using blankets to suffocate Noah and her two other sons — 4-year-old Gavin, who died in April 2015, and 3-month old Nial, who died in July 2014.
The mother told authorities she committed the crimes because she was jealous of the attention her husband gave to her son, but not to her or their daughter, Hailey.
Hailey was taken into custody by a child welfare agency following Noah’s death.
Logan County Prosecutor Eric Stewart said the state’s own experts felt the death penalty wasn’t acceptable for Pilkington due to her “mental defects.”
One of Pilkington’s attorneys, Kort Gatterdam, said the mother suffered lead poisoning and years of physical and sexual abuse.
Following Noah’s death, Pilkington’s husband, Joseph Pilkington, was charged with sexual battery for impregnating Brittany in 2009 when she was just 17.
Before his marriage to Brittany, Joseph was in a relationship with her mother.
More International News Stories
- I want to apologise to the Queen, says Meghan’s father Thomas Markle January 22, 2020
- Screening in UK as 17 killed by ‘mutating’ coronavirus January 22, 2020
- US gets 1st case of mysterious new Chinese illness January 22, 2020
- US: Teacher pleads guilty to having sexual contact with her students January 22, 2020
- China warns virus may spread as death toll hits 9 January 22, 2020
- Trump’s lawyers: Abuse of power not a crime January 21, 2020