J’can woman convicted for murder in Barbados to be sentenced early next year

J’can woman convicted for murder in Barbados to be sentenced early next year

(CMC) — A Jamaican woman who was found guilty in the death of a fellow Jamaican in 2017, has appealed to the Barbados court to be lenient with her when she comes up for sentencing on January 31, next year.

Tedesha Ann Hayles, 26, admitted to killing Shockaya Boyd, but told the High Court that she was not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter.

A post mortem found that the deceased sustained 14 injuries and that death was due to haemorrhage from a stab wound to the neck.

“Sir I would like to apologise to the court, to Shockaya’s family. I would like also apologise to my family. I would like to apologise for coming in this country and getting in this type of problem and I am asking please if you can find it in your heart to be lenient and have mercy on me because I have never been in trouble such as this type so far, never,” the convicted woman told the court.

“I have never even get an arrest in my country and I come into somebody else country and get lock up,” the emotional Hayles told Justice Randall Worrell.

“I am sorry . . . I really am sorry for my actions cause I didn’t just hurt one, I hurt all. But please know that I am not a violent person. I am not a violent person and I am sorry for my actions, I really am sorry for my actions. I would also like to apologise to my son and to my grandmother.”

The Court heard that the two sex workers were involved in an altercation on April 28, 2017 when Hayles pulled a knife and stabbed Boyd several times causing her to fall to the ground.

Hayles left the scene and disposed of the knife used to stab Boyd, who was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.

Hayles later told police: “Miss, she come up in my face and I had to defend myself.”

In her statement to police, which Hayles opted to write herself, she acknowledged that she and the deceased were friends at one point but had a falling out due to a row involving another woman.

Hayles said she left the scene with the knife and subsequently threw it away. She boarded a taxi for home but was stopped by police and taken to the police station.

During the trial, Hayles held her head down as the prosecutor gave the details of what occurred that night. She however lifted her head and watched as the prosecutor showed photographs of the scene.


No posts to display