Share This On:
(JAMAICA OBSERVER) On Labour Day (May 23), Bounty Killer will again set his sights on the Kingston Public and Victoria Jubliee Maternity hospitals at North Street, Kingston.
According to the deejay’s manager, Paul “Bankey” Giscombe, the Bounty Killer Foundation has already purchased 60 gallons of paint to help renovate those institutions.
“We got that amount over the weekend but we are definitely planning to get far more leading up to the 23rd. We are not only doing paint, there are other things that are expected to come in for the project,” Giscombe told the Jamaica Observer.
On Saturday night, Bounty Killer received the for Reggae Dancehall Icon special award at the International Reggae And World Music Awards (IRAWMA) at the Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston.
Bounty Killer’s (given name Rodney Pryce) connection with Kingston Public Hospital goes back to the mid-1980s when he was admitted there for treatment of a gunshot wound.
“This institution saved my life when I got shot at 16,” he said. “They also save a lot of children lives in the inner city,” he told the Observer in a previous interview.
Last year February, he donated 63 beds and mattresses to the institution. Though that was his first public donation, he said he has contributed to KPH over the years. It was the first project under his Bounty Killer Foundation.
For his 2018 Labour Day project, he donated a refrigerator, air-conditioning unit, and tins of oil paint to Victoria Jubliee Hospital. He and members of his team also helped paint its exterior.
Victoria Jubilee Hospital, initially known as Victoria Jubilee Lying-In Hospital, was founded in 1891 and opened to the public in 1892.
“Back inna di days, my mother was a poor woman, so this is where she come and she laid an’ had me, and I have no qualms with it,” Killer said.
More Jamaica News Stories
- US ‘salesman’ caught with ammunition at Jamaican airport October 16, 2019
- Former Jamaican PM PJ Patterson hospitalised after accident October 15, 2019
- Jamaica: Woman attacked by pit bull wants compensation October 14, 2019
- Jamaican man defrauded elderly US couple out of US$320,000 October 14, 2019
- Five-week-old baby stolen in Jamaica October 14, 2019
- Jamaica: Man learns 5 kids are not his; still plans to marry woman October 14, 2019
- Jamaican woman has three sets of twins October 11, 2019
- Jamaica: “Prekeh Bwoy” tops police wanted list October 9, 2019