(JAMAICA OBSERVER) – Eighteen -year-old Shannaya Murray, affectionately called Zodi, of an Askenish address in Hanover, was set to pursue a career in the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF).
In fact, a family member told the Jamaica Observer West that the mannerly young woman was slated to travel from her Askenish, Hanover home in the near future to Twickenham Park in St Catherine, where she expected to participate in a JCF recruitment drive at the Police Training College.
But all was lost when gunmen brutally snuffed out her life Tuesday evening.
“She was a very mannerly girl. Very, very hard-working. She wanted to be a chef and in the end she wanted to enter the police force where we were planning on going up there this Saturday to see if she could get in to join the force,” the distraught family member revealed.
Murray, a student of the Kenilworth Heart Academy located in Sandy Bay, Hanover, who was pursuing a course in tourism management, was on her way from school when she met her demise.
She was one of two people shot dead by gunmen when the minibus in which she was travelling was sprayed with bullets around 7:00 on Tuesday evening in the quiet rural community of Dundee Pen in the parish.
“We are still in mourning at our loss. She just went to school. We are here looking back for her to come home. No Zodi. It is very sad for us to lose someone very close to the family, close to the community, but God knows everything,” said the grieving family member.
Meanwhile, the other deceased has been identified as 37-year-old Tose McIntosh, commonly called Ray Ray, of a Johnson Town address in Lucea.
McIntosh was the driver of the ill-fated public passenger vehicle which plied the route between Lucea and Askenish.
Three other people were left injured in the shooting and received medical attention at the Noel Holmes Hospital.
The death of the two has brought the murder tally in Hanover since the start of the year to 54, compared to 53 last year.
Superintendent in charge of the Hanover Police, Sharon Beeput, who took the time to reassure the public of the police’s commitment, is also urging people with information to come forward.
“As a result of the incident last night, we are doing our best … we regret the unfortunate situation, but we are reassuring our citizens that we are on top of everything,” assured Superintendent Beeput.
“We are yet to know the motive or the perpetrators involved in this incident. But we continue to police the different communities as best as possible and we are requesting persons who might have known what has happened, we are asking you to give us a call so we can be able to find these perpetrators who are involved in that incident last (Tuesday) night,” Superintendent Beeput said.