Share This On:
(JAMAICA GLEANER) – A former deacon of a St Catherine-based church who impregnated a 13-year-old has been sentenced to five years in prison after pleading guilty to having sexual intercourse with a person under the age of 16 years.
He was sentenced in the St Catherine Circuit Court by Justice Lorna Shelly Williams yesterday after pleading guilty on a sentence reduction day in November.
On sentence reduction days, accused persons who plead guilty are guaranteed shorter prison times.
The-52-year-old man is said to have attended the same church as the 13-year-old complainant and her mother.
In June 2016 when he discovered that he had impregnated the child, the accused took her to do a doctor to have an abortion done.
The police were called in by the doctor, but the accused ran out of the office before the police arrived.
The deacon was on the run for a year before he was held in June 2017 on the compound of the Spanish Town Hospital while visiting a patient.
He was subsequently charged by investigators from the Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse.
- Guyana: Indigenous chiefs maintain they will not let outsiders in their villages
- Guyana: Minibus driver and conductor arrested for packing minibus — breaking COVID rule
- LIAT extends suspension of passenger services
- Jamaica: Churchgoers warn of mark of the beast, new world order
- Tourists may need COVID ‘passport’ to visit Jamaica
- Barbados teachers union wants CXC exams suspended
- Barbados: Three killed in early-morning shooting
- Licensing officer deciding vehicles’ tint legality by race — Trinidad minister
- US says Trinidad violated Rio Treaty with visit of Venezuelan VP Delcy Rodriguez