Share This On:
(JAMAICA OBSERVER) — THE driver of the garbage truck that killed seven-year-old Clan Carthy Primary School student Benjamin Bair was yesterday charged with manslaughter.
The police have identified him as 52-year-old Alten Brooks of 9 Miles, Bull Bay in St Andrew.
He is expected to appear in the Home Circuit Court tomorrow.
Benjamin was on October 28 crushed to death by the garbage truck at his school in St Andrew.
Reports are that Brooks had left the truck to collect refuse on the school compound when the parked vehicle ran back, crashing into a taxi before overturning on Benjamin.
A parent, who was exiting the taxi, suffered a fractured limb during the incident.
Brooks reportedly fled the scene before surrendering to police four days later.
Drivers involved in any form of accidents are allowed 24 hours to report the matter.
The bizarre accident shocked the nation, prompting an announcement from Prime Minister Andrew Holness, who said it was time to consider policy changes as it relates to garbage collection at schools.
More Jamaica News Stories
- Jamaica: 186 years total for men convicted in beheading case December 12, 2019
- Jamaica: Mom convinced papaya leaf juice cured her son of dengue December 9, 2019
- Jamaica: Fight over soap leaves little girl partially blind December 6, 2019
- Jamaica: Woman defies doctors after getting three days to live December 6, 2019
- Jamaica: Pregnant woman jumps from two-storey building December 6, 2019
- Jamaican man granted bail, claims self defence in BVI court case December 6, 2019
- Jamaica: Cabbie finds $100,000 in car – Says it is a gift from God December 5, 2019