Share This On:
“They [China] said they are cancelling our debts that are maturing this year and we are in the process of finalising the debt instruments and calculating the debts,” minister Patrick Chinamasa said in a statement.
Chinamasa also announced that Zimbabwe will officially make the Chinese yuan legal tender as it seeks to increase trade with Beijing.
Zimbabwe abandoned its own dollar in 2009 after hyperinflation, which had peaked at around 500bn%, rendered it unusable.
It then started using a slew of foreign currencies, including the US dollar and the South African rand.
More International News Stories
- ‘Jealous’ Ohio mom gets 37 years in prison for killing her 3 sons November 22, 2019
- Boy, 13, executed teen girl because he feared he got her pregnant November 22, 2019
- Navy veteran was dead for 3 years before he was found in apartment November 22, 2019
- Teen migrants found hiding in car seat, dashboard in attempted smuggling November 22, 2019
- First male birth control injection almost ready for penises November 22, 2019
- 380-pound Florida man arrested after hiding drugs in belly button November 22, 2019