Share This On:
“They [China] said they are cancelling our debts that are maturing this year and we are in the process of finalising the debt instruments and calculating the debts,” minister Patrick Chinamasa said in a statement.
Chinamasa also announced that Zimbabwe will officially make the Chinese yuan legal tender as it seeks to increase trade with Beijing.
Zimbabwe abandoned its own dollar in 2009 after hyperinflation, which had peaked at around 500bn%, rendered it unusable.
It then started using a slew of foreign currencies, including the US dollar and the South African rand.
More International News Stories
- France launches bedbug hotline in campaign to stamp out the itchy menace February 21, 2020
- Two killed, 70 injured in horrific 200-car pileup near Montreal February 21, 2020
- Over 500 cases of coronavirus reported in Chinese prisons February 21, 2020
- Ukrainians hurl stones at evacuees from China February 21, 2020
- India builds wall along slum ahead of Trump visit February 20, 2020
- Texas-based company has reportedly created a coronavirus vaccine February 20, 2020
- Over 5,000 new cases of coronavirus confirmed in single day in China February 14, 2020