Share This On:
James M. Jeffrey, 49, shot himself in the head Tuesday during the Facebook Live video, prompting horrified viewers to report the suicide to 911.
The Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office had already been contacted by Jeffrey’s ex-girlfriend, who said she was concerned he might harm himself following their breakup, according to AL.com.
Deputies arrived on the scene in Robertsdale, Alabama, to find Jeffrey dead of a gunshot wound.
The disturbing footage of Jeffrey’s suicide is the latest violent death broadcast on Facebook.
Another clip from earlier this week showed Wuttisan Wongtalay from Thailand hanging his 11-month-old daughter before killing himself.
Earlier this month, Steve Stephens shared a Facebook video of him killing a 74-year-old grandfather in cold blood. Stephens led authorities on a three-day manhunt before taking his own life.
Baldwin County officers said Jeffrey’s video was viewed more than 1,000 times before it was removed from Facebook two hours later.
“This was a first for us,” Baldwin County Sheriff’s Deputy Anthony Lowery told USA Today. “I hope this isn’t a trend starting. It’s one thing to commit suicide. It’s another thing to victimize other people.”
Facebook has not responded to the latest incident, but announced last month the company’s plans to create real-time suicide prevention tools on the site.
“We have a lot of work and we will keep doing all we can to prevent tragedies like this from happening,” Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said.
More International News Stories
- Fake German doctor who coaxed women to electrocute themselves jailed January 20, 2020
- Immune discovery ‘may treat all cancer’ January 20, 2020
- Elderly couple die on same day after spending 65 years together January 20, 2020
- Human-to-human transmission confirmed in China coronavirus January 20, 2020
- Malaysia sends back trash, says won’t be world’s waste bin January 20, 2020
- Prince Harry: ‘Powerful media’ is why he’s stepping away January 20, 2020
- At least 75 inmates escape from Paraguayan prison near Brazil border January 20, 2020
- Pompeo looks forward to meeting with Venezuela’s Guaido in Colombia January 20, 2020