Add St. Lucia News Online on Whatsapp +1758 712 6700; get major headlines and source us with news tips, photos, and videos

INTERNATIONAL: United Airlines boss sorry for ‘horrific’ passenger removal

By BBC

 Share This On:

a41f726b05591a56da4d18BBC – The CEO of United Airlines has apologised for the “truly horrific” removal of a passenger from an overbooked flight.

Oscar Munoz said he “continues to be disturbed” by the incident, during which a passenger was forcibly dragged, screaming, off a plane.

He said the company would “fix what’s broken so it never happens again”.

United’s parent company’s share price plummeted on Tuesday after a video of the incident went viral on Twitter.

Stock in United Continental Holdings dropped by more than 4% at one point on Tuesday, and at one point nearly $1bn (£800m) was wiped off its value – but prices later recovered partially.

The footage taken inside the airliner shows a man being pulled out of his seat and dragged, screaming, down the aisle. He is later seen with blood on his face.

The flight from Chicago to Louisville, Kentucky, on Sunday evening had been overbooked – a fairly common practice – so the airline wanted to get four passengers to leave the flight to make room for four staff members.

Three passengers – reportedly including the man’s wife – agreed and left the plane. But the man said he worked in a hospital, and needed to see his patients the next day, an eyewitness tweeted.

A video that appears to show the man dazed and with blood around his mouth, saying “just kill me”, having run back on the plane, has also emerged online.

Earlier on Tuesday Mr Munoz defended employees’ conduct and said the passenger had been “disruptive and belligerent”.

He came under intense criticism online and the incident reached the ears of the White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, who called it “troubling”.

(0)(0)
This article was posted in its entirety as received by stlucianewsonline.com. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of stlucianewsonline.com, its sponsors or advertisers.

5 comments

  1. Sue their ass!! That is ridiculous. Overbooked and to remove paying passengers to accommodate staff members..???? Does not add up..why was it so important to get the staff members on board this flight...??smh

    (2)(0)
  2. They could have just asked someone else....Even if his wife left , if he doesn't want to go, simply ask someone else.

    (7)(0)
  3. Make them shut up shop. How can you pay for a ride and get a beating for that instead?

    (8)(0)
    • Shut up shop and 80,000 people lose their jobs. An industry with very few major players losing another competitor leading to reduced choices and higher prices. Thank God idiots like you don't run things. The man has already hired a high powered lawyers and will sue. Imagine that, a couple million for getting dragged off a plane with a bloody nose. I'd take that any day. Please united, make me your next victim.

      (6)(0)
  4. Sue their ass big time

    (8)(0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.