Share This On:
CNN – North Korean state media indicated Thursday that the reclusive nation has added the hydrogen bomb — also known as a thermonuclear bomb — to its arsenal, a development that, if true, would represent an upgrade to its nuclear weapons capabilities.
Observers in recent years believed that North Korea may have been working toward, but didn’t yet have the capability to produce, a thermonuclear bomb, which can be hundreds of times more powerful than an atomic bomb.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un made the claim, according to state media outlet KCNA, while touring a historic weapons industry site in the country.
The communist country has been turned “into a powerful nuclear weapons state ready to detonate self-reliant A-bomb and H-bomb to reliably defend its sovereignty and the dignity of the nation,” Kim said, according to the KCNA report.
An expert who spoke to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency responded skeptically.
More International News Stories
- US: Man, 94, killed wife in failed murder-suicide October 16, 2019
- New York cop kills himself inside his home October 16, 2019
- UK: Video shows students high-fiving after rape drunk woman October 16, 2019
- Newborn girl found buried alive in Indian cemetery October 15, 2019
- Neighbor of Atatiana Jefferson says he’s “devastated” October 15, 2019
- US: 10-y-o girl commits suicide; police suggest she was bullied October 15, 2019