USA TODAY – George Zimmerman tried on Thursday to auction off the firearm he used to kill 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Florida four years ago but the listing on a gun auction website was removed around the time bidding was to begin on the “piece of history.”
In place of Zimmerman’s listing for his Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm firearm, the page said, without elaboration, “Sorry, but the item you have requested is no longer in the system.” Until that point, the gunbroker.com page had been viewed more than 185,000 times.
Zimmerman had said in the listing that he was “honored and humbled” to announce the sale of the weapon and set the bidding to start at $5,000. Similar firearms normally sell on the site for around $200.
“The firearm for sale is the firearm that was used to defend my life and end the brutal attack from Trayvon Martin on 2/26/2012,” he wrote.
Zimmerman, 32, noted that the Justice Department returned the weapon to him recently and it still bears the case number written on it in silver permanent marker.