Share This On:
So Paul Rater, 53, left the 5-year-old alone in the desert brush after taking her for a ride in his new pickup, and gave her a loaded gun, Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Christopher Hegstrom told CBS affiliate KPHO in Phoenix.
According to the MCSO incident report, the victim told her grandmother, “I don’t know why papa left me. I was calling out for him. He took me by some bushes, gave me a gun and left me.”
The pair set out for a ride in the desert late Sunday, and four hours later the little girl was reported missing. The family called police, who scrambled a helicopter, but her relatives found her alone with the gun themselves. It was a .45-caliber handgun that had been cocked into a ready-to-fire position.
Rater was quickly tracked down at a local store, and he admitted to abandoning his grandchild in the desert, officials say. He said he went for a few drinks and a cheeseburger after leaving her there.
More International News Stories
- Fake German doctor who coaxed women to electrocute themselves jailed January 20, 2020
- Immune discovery ‘may treat all cancer’ January 20, 2020
- Elderly couple die on same day after spending 65 years together January 20, 2020
- Human-to-human transmission confirmed in China coronavirus January 20, 2020
- Malaysia sends back trash, says won’t be world’s waste bin January 20, 2020
- Prince Harry: ‘Powerful media’ is why he’s stepping away January 20, 2020
- At least 75 inmates escape from Paraguayan prison near Brazil border January 20, 2020
- Pompeo looks forward to meeting with Venezuela’s Guaido in Colombia January 20, 2020