INTERNATIONAL: 85 missing from China landslide; residents blame Government

By Jamaica Observer

 Share This On:

175441JAMAICA OBSERVER – Rescuers searched yesterday for 85 missing people a day after the collapse of a mountain of excavated soil and construction waste that had been piled up over two years in China’s manufacturing centre of Shenzhen.

Authorities said the landslide buried or damaged 33 buildings in the industrial park in Shenzhen, a city near Hong Kong that makes products used around the world ranging from cellphones to cars.

Residents blamed the Government while officials cited human error, with one ministry saying, “The pile was too big, the pile was too steep”.

The landslide Sunday covered an area of 380,000 square metres (450,000 square yards) with silt 10 metres (33 feet) deep, authorities said. At least 16 people were hospitalised, including children, the officialXinhua News Agencysaid.

The Shenzhen Government said seven trapped people had been rescued and 85 others remained missing yesterday evening. Earlier in the day it had said 91 people were missing and seven rescued, but it gave no explanation for the change in the missing. No deaths had been reported.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

(0)(0)
This article was posted in its entirety as received by stlucianewsonline.com. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of stlucianewsonline.com, its sponsors or advertisers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.