The discovery was made by a frequent beach user today, Wednesday, June 3 and the find was reported at about 3 p.m .
Based on today’s discovery, the turtle may have been killed on Monday evening.
“The remains included a decomposing shell and intestines, along with mature and immature eggs,” an official told St. Lucia News Online (SNO). “All the turtle meat was extracted along with the head and flippers.”
This is the first known and reported incident for 2015.
The official said the sea turtle hunting season is closed, therefore it is illegal to hunt and/or kill turtles at this time. The harvesting seasoning usually runs annually from Oct. 1 to Dec. 31, with conditions.
“Currently, we are in the nesting period,” the official emphasized.
No one has been arrested for this incident so far, but anyone caught and found guilty faces a maximum fine of $5,000 and/or one year imprisonment.
The official said in 2013, a turtle was encountered in the same area.
“It was coming up to nest but it’s head was slashed by the propeller of a boat. This was reported in the news also and was a big story, because we had to put it to sleep given the severity of the injury,” the official said.