Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – This story is different from many stories we hear of youths that turn out bad because of lack of opportunities; in my case was different.
I grew up in a house where my mother always gave me the best. I never lacked food or clothing.
At the age of 16 I started selling marijuana and I had my own plantation. I was addicted to cigarettes until someone introduced me to marijuana. It all started because of the influence of friends, they were doing it and told me if I started doing it as well I could have a lot of money.
I was a quiet boy and didn’t get into trouble or break people’s house. I never showed bad behaviour to people because I never wanted others to know my business. I kept trying to smile and be friendly to them and they never suspected anything.
I was disobedient at school. Because of the money I had, women were always around me. I didn’t love them. I was just using them. I had friends just because of the money, but once it finished the friends were gone and disappointment was always there.
Money was coming into my hands, but was going away like water into the drain. I knew that the money I had wasn’t blessed. I wanted to change my life, but I did not know how. I was young and lost in my own desire, that in the end was taking me nowhere.
When I was 17 I wanted to kill people. They use to threaten me and I was fearful for my life. I tried to buy a gun. I was living a crazy life. Even though I grew up learning what was right I end up doing the wrong, and all of this just because of bad influences.
Inside of me I had a great desire for change. One day I heard about the YPG (Youth Power Group).
I came to their meetings and I found young people just like me. Each one of them had a different past but they overcame and I wanted to overcome mine as well. They spoke to me and helped me.
I gave up selling marijuana, I stop being a womaniser, I quit drinking and today I’m married and I have a job. I have joy, peace and the presence of God.
– Kerry Barthelmy
N.B: The YPG is a non-profitable organization with the aim of changing young people`s life. The youths from the YPG have a lot to say when it comes to pain. Truth and reality unfolds in our meetings, made by young people to young people. Every week, different topics that will open your eyes to the truth and help you direct your life on the right path.
The destination of your life is in your hands!
If you want to know more about the YPG, contact us on:
YPG HELP LINE: 724-8130 / 724-8041
YPG Whatsapp: 717-0311
Saint Lucian’s biggest youth network, offering a range of activities and practical advice to help young people become successful adults.
- Prime Minister takes aim at US, UK financial regulations February 21, 2020 1:42 PM
- Family of Benignus Henry issue a plea for support February 21, 2020 12:30 PM
- PM Chastanet welcomes positive comments on CIP’s impact on economic performance of St Lucia and OECS February 21, 2020 9:22 AM
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020 3:34 PM
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM