Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The European Union (EU) is mobilising an initial 500,000 euro in immediate emergency funding to assist those in the Bahamas affected by the category 5 Hurricane Dorian, which devastated the Bahamas on September 2.
The funding will address urgent needs such as shelter, water, hygiene, and food.
The European Union’s 24/7 Emergency Response Coordination Centre is in close contact with the authorities of the Bahamas to monitor the situation and channel further EU assistance. In addition, the Commission has deployed a Humanitarian Expert to conduct a rapid needs assessment and the EU’s emergency Copernicus satellite service is currently providing maps of the area.
“Hurricane Dorian has left a large trail of destruction with many casualties and leaving homes in ruins. We will do all we can to help, getting aid in to the people on the ground. Our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragedy and with the Bahamian authorities and brave first responders on the scene. The EU stands ready to provide further assistance,” said Christos Stylianides, commissioner for humanitarian aid and crisis management.
Offers have also been received from EU Member States to assist with the recovery: France – 30 tonnes of humanitarian material; Luxembourg – satellite communication platform, which can provide data and voice communication to field emergency centre; Belgium – vessel with water purification system; and The Netherlands – two navy vessels from St. Martin carrying humanitarian cargo, including two helicopters and rubber boats.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM