Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The European Union (EU) is mobilising an initial 500,000 euro in immediate emergency funding to assist those in the Bahamas affected by the category 5 Hurricane Dorian, which devastated the Bahamas on September 2.
The funding will address urgent needs such as shelter, water, hygiene, and food.
The European Union’s 24/7 Emergency Response Coordination Centre is in close contact with the authorities of the Bahamas to monitor the situation and channel further EU assistance. In addition, the Commission has deployed a Humanitarian Expert to conduct a rapid needs assessment and the EU’s emergency Copernicus satellite service is currently providing maps of the area.
“Hurricane Dorian has left a large trail of destruction with many casualties and leaving homes in ruins. We will do all we can to help, getting aid in to the people on the ground. Our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragedy and with the Bahamian authorities and brave first responders on the scene. The EU stands ready to provide further assistance,” said Christos Stylianides, commissioner for humanitarian aid and crisis management.
Offers have also been received from EU Member States to assist with the recovery: France – 30 tonnes of humanitarian material; Luxembourg – satellite communication platform, which can provide data and voice communication to field emergency centre; Belgium – vessel with water purification system; and The Netherlands – two navy vessels from St. Martin carrying humanitarian cargo, including two helicopters and rubber boats.
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM
- Canelles Resort Project begins January 17, 2020 2:52 PM
- St Lucia Jazz and St Lucia Summer Festival 2020 off to an exciting start January 17, 2020 10:00 AM