Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The TOCO Foundation, in partnership with the Montana Dental Clinic, has wrapped up a free one-week dental clinic at Ti Rocher, Micoud.
The clinic, which ran from January 7-10, exceeded its targets, having recorded a daily average of 80 clients.
The clinic was initially scheduled to close a day later. A total of 357 people – students and general public — turned out to avail themselves of the free service which consisted of dental cleaning, dental fillings and extractions.
The Montana Dental Clinic delegation of 12 was led by Tom Bartoletti and comprised three dentists, a medical doctor, a dental hygienist, and dental assistants. Montana Dental Clinic, which specializes in cosmetic and general dentistry has been in operation for over 30 years, serving a clientele from New Mexico and West Texas. Over that time, the clinic has also undertaken extensive voluntary work throughout the eastern European bloc of countries, Africa and the Caribbean.
According to Taj Weeks, chairman of the TOCO Foundation, the connection was made with Montana Dental Clinic while performing at a festival there.
“Our liaison officer, who had heard of our philanthropic work, told us about the work of the Montana Dental clinic and was happy to open that door through her connections with them. The synergies and the opportunity to partner were ‘low hanging fruit’ for both TOCO and Montana, and here we are,” Weekes concluded.
The TOCO Foundation outreach initiative received on-the-ground partnership support from Parliamentary Representative for Micoud South, Prime Minister Allan Chastanet and Helen Television System.
It is the second of its kind; the first was hosted in Soufriere in May 2018. A third TOCO free dental is already in the cards for May 2019 and is tentatively set for the Central Castries area.
Only weeks ago the Foundation hosted a two-day free pop-up shop in Micoud, making gently-used clothes and other personal items available to adults and children. In addition to the free services, clients received care packets containing toothbrush, toothpaste and floss and dental hygiene literature.
- National Students’ Council elects new executive November 20, 2019 1:14 AM
- Qiana Joseph to participate in Women’s T20 Grand Slam Franchise Tournament November 20, 2019 12:55 AM
- Saint Lucia misses Gold Cup playoffs after falling to Montserrat November 20, 2019 12:08 AM
- US government warns of travel to Dominica; calls for restraint November 19, 2019 6:34 PM
- Dominica’s opposition leader strikes back; blames police for unrest in Roseau November 19, 2019 6:19 PM
- OECS chairman calls for “calm” in Dominica November 19, 2019 5:19 PM
- UPDATE: Dominica’s PM condemns unrest in Roseau; blames opposition UWP (see video) November 19, 2019 4:23 PM
- Saint Lucian in Taiwan’s top TV singing contest November 19, 2019 8:06 AM
- Turmoil in Dominica as protesters and police clash (see video) November 19, 2019 7:55 AM