Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – Opposition Parliamentarian for Castries South, Hon. Ernest Hilaire has called on the Allen Chastenet Government to be transparent and involve the Parliamentary Representative for and the people of Castries South in any development plans for the constituency.
Hon. Ernest Hilaire noted that the Prime Minister’s Office issued a Press Release which indicated that ambitious development plans have been completed for the Banane Bay area. The MP noted that the Press Release said that the Prime Minister made the announcement at a meeting in Banane which was attended by officials. It was also announced that members of the public will witness a gradual transformation of that area in the coming weeks.
Hon. Ernest Hilaire is strongly supportive of any intention to re-develop the Banane Bay area having announced during his campaign in 2016 that this was a priority area for the Saint Lucia Labour Party if re-elected. However, Hon. Hilaire is advising the Government to include the families, fisher folk and businesspeople who will be affected in any project conceptualization and implementation.
The MP says it is totally unacceptable that as Parliamentary Representative he has not been informed nor consulted in anyway on the Project. It is even worse, that the people to be most affected have not been consulted nor included in any of the planning for the improvements.
The MP appeals to the Government and Mayor not to be dismissive of the people as any sustainable development must be for people and with people. Hon. Hilaire further notes that sustainable development is best achieved when Government and officials approach projects without the arrogance and disdain that is shown in this case.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM