Share This On:
(MIAMI HERALD) — Tropical Storm Kirk picked up speed in the Atlantic Ocean in Sunday’s first hours, but only maintained its winds just at tropical storm force level.
As of the 5 a.m. National Weather Service advisory, Kirk’s sustained winds measured 40 mph and extended 70 miles north of the storm’s center. The westward movement speed had increased to 18 mph when it was 465 miles south southwest of the southernmost Cabo Verde Islands.
“An even faster westward motion across the deep tropical Atlantic Ocean is expected through Tuesday,” the public advisory says. “Some strengthening is forecast during the next day or two. Weakening is likely during the middle to latter part of the week.”
The projected track has Kirk threatening the group of islands that includes Montserrat, Barbados, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Grenada around Friday. Northern Venezuela is also in the extended cone rojection.
The next advisory on Kirk is expected at 11 a.m. Sunday.
BELOW IS THE SAINT LUCIA WEATHER REPORT
6:00 AM WEATHER REPORT
DATE: 23 SEPTEMBER, 2018
FORECASTER: THOMAS AUGUSTE
PRESENT WEATHER AT HEWANORRA AIRPORT IS FAIR.
PRESENT WEATHER AT GFL CHARLES AIRPORT IS FAIR.
PRESENT TEMPERATURE AT HEWANORRA AIRPORT IS 27 C OR 81 F.
LAST NIGHT’S MINIMUM TEMPERATURE AT HEWANORRA AIRPORT WAS 27 C OR 81 F.
WIND AT HEWANORRA AIRPORT IS BLOWING FROM THE EAST AT 13 MPH OR 20 KM/H.
RAINFALL IN THE 24 HOUR PERIOD THAT ENDED AT 2:00 AM TODAY:
AT HEWANORRA AIRPORT: NIL.
TOTAL RAINFALL FOR THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER:
AT HEWANORRA AIRPORT: 41.8 MM.
SUNSET TODAY: 5:59 PM. SUNRISE TOMORROW: 5:53 AM.
FORECAST FOR SAINT LUCIA VALID FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS
WINDS WILL BE BLOWING FROM THE EAST AT ABOUT 12 MPH OR 19 KM/H BECOMING LIGHTER AT TIMES.
WEATHER: FAIR SKIES, OCCASIONALLY BECOMING CLOUDY WITH A FEW SHOWERS.
MARINE FORECAST FOR SEAS IN A 25 MILE OR 40 KM RADIUS FROM SAINT LUCIA
TIDES FOR CASTRIES HARBOUR: LOW AT 8:43 AM… HIGH AT 3:00 PM.
TIDES FOR VIEUX FORT BAY: LOW AT 10:10 AM… HIGH AT 4:07 PM.
SEAS: SLIGHT TO MODERATE WITH WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET OR 0.9 TO 1.5 METRES.
FORECAST FOR THE LESSER ANTILLES
FAIR SKIES, OCCASIONALLY BECOMING CLOUDY WITH A FEW SCATTERED SHOWERS.
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
AT 5:00 AM TODAY, THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION ELEVEN WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 14.5 DEGREES NORTH, LONGITUDE 55.0 DEGREES WEST, WHICH IS ABOUT 403 MILES OR 649 KILOMETERS EAST OF SAINT LUCIA. THE DEPRESSION IS MOVING TOWARDS THE NORTHWEST NEAR 06 MPH OR 09 KM/H. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WIND ARE NEAR 30 MPH OR 45 KM/H. THIS DEPRESSION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WEAKENING AND SHOULD DISSIPATE BY TONIGHT BEFORE IT REACHES THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN ISLANDS.
AT 5:00 AM TODAY, THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM KIRK WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 9..1 DEGREES NORTH, LONGITUDE 28.0 DEGREES WEST, WHICH IS ABOUT 2256 MILES OR 3630 KILOMETERS EAST SOUTHEAST OF SAINT LUCIA. KIRK IS MOVING TOWARDS THE WEST OR 280 DEGREES NEAR 18 MPH OR 30 KM/H. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 40 MPH OR 65 KM/H. SOME STRENGTHENING IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT DAY OR TWO AND THIS IS LIKELY TO BE FOLLOWED BY SOME WEAKENING LATER DURING THE WEEK.
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 18, 2019 6:04 AM
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM