Share This On:
(SNO) — Two persons close to Saint Lucia’s latest homicide victim, Henry ‘Zizzy’ Calderon of Water Works Road, Castries, said the youth may have been in bad company but he was “someone’s child”.
Calderon, who would have celebrated his 22nd birthday on April 28, was shot at Water Works Road on Monday evening (Jan. 14). Police responded to the shooting about 9:15 p.m.
In a press release on Tuesday, the police said Calderon was transported to Victoria Hospital “where it was noted that he sustained multiple gunshot wounds about his body”.
He was “later formally pronounced dead” by a medical practitioner, police said.
A young man, described as a “close friend” of the deceased, said though “everyone knows Zizzy was a gangster he had his good and bay ways like anyone else”.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, the friend added: “He chose his path, but he was someone’s child. People can say what they want.”
A woman said Calderon, who was her cousin, was no saint but no one deserved to die the way he did.
“I knew him from a baby. He was an okay person if you get to know him. He was just in too much bad company,” the cousin added, also speaking condition of anonymity.
Police said a post mortem examination is scheduled for a subsequent date and investigations are ongoing.
Calderon’s killing is the second homicide for the year.
The first homicide was recorded on Sunday (Jan. 13) when the body of 66-year-old British national, businessman and longtime Saint Lucia resident, Robert ‘Bob’ Hathaway, was discovered in a pool of blood at his home in Piat, Grand Riviere, Gros Islet on Sunday, after midday. He is believed to have been stabbed to death, according to unofficial reports.
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM
- Prime Minister assures former Majestic Industries workers that their request will be granted December 9, 2019 3:28 PM
- Cellma training at OKEU December 9, 2019 12:44 PM
- Jade Mountain food gets top French honors December 9, 2019 9:30 AM
- DLP sweeps general election in Dominica December 6, 2019 9:12 PM
- Hallucine leads the ARC fleet into Saint Lucia December 6, 2019 3:56 PM