Add St. Lucia News Online on Whatsapp +1758-712-6700 and get daily headlines and breaking news

Haitians killed in boating accident buried in Bahamas

By CMC

 Share This On:

Inside the Enoch Beckford Auditorium on Carmichael Road on Sunday. * Tribune242 photo

NASSAU, Bahamas, Feb 11, CMC – The Haitian community here on Sunday bade farewell to 22 Haitians who drowned in waters off Abaco when their vessel ran aground just over a week ago.

“In searching for a better life, they found death,” said Francois J. Michel, the charge d’affaires at the Haitian Embassy as the coffins strapped to a flatbed truck and draped in Haitian flags were brought into the Enoch Backford Auditorium for the funeral service.

Last week, Foreign Affairs Minister, Darren Henfield, said the Haitian Embassy here had requested the bodies of the nationals who perished when the 40-foot vessel ran aground in waters off Abaco.

So far 31 bodies had been recovered but the authorities said that nine were in such poor condition that they were buried in Abaco. The authorities have since called off the search for other survivors.

President of the Abaco Christian Council told mourners, “there’s is no Haitian people, there’s no Bahamian people. We are all God’s people”.

Henfield said that Nassau has in the past warned of the dangers associated with the illegal migration by sea to the Bahamas and on Sunday, Herns Mesamours, of the Haitian Embassy said “everyone must submit to the laws and authority of The Bahamas.

“The Haitian Embassy is not here to encourage any illegal migration to The Bahamas.”

Bishop Simeon Hall told the mourners “to be poor and destitute (in Haiti) is still far better than to be dead and gone.”

(0)(0)
Copyright 2019 St. Lucia News Online. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.