Share This On:
Today is Nobel Laureates Day in Saint Lucia.
We pay tribute to Hon. Derek Walcott (Literature, 1992) and Sir Arthur Lewis (Economics, 1979).
Both men were born on January 23 (Sir Arthur in 1915 and Hon. Walcott in 1930), hence the joint celebration.
Sadly, Sir Arthur left us in 1991 at age 76, not before leaving the world with a rich legacy to build on, especially in the area of economic development.
Hon. Walcott can still be found lying on a beach somewhere in the north of the island painting the same egrets he painted the day before and scribbling some of the best metaphors we are yet to really wrap our minds around.
Be proud of our laureates. We is dem and dem is we. – Stan Bishop
More Culture/History Stories
- Nobel Laureate Festival Celebrating Excellence: Vision 20/20 excels January 30, 2020
- Walcott Open House January 20, 2020
- Nobel Laureate Festival to launch, Wednesday January 6, 2020
- St. Lucian community in London gather for National Day December 13, 2019
- Valuing our heritage: Through the eyes of communities December 3, 2019
- Saint Lucia government to grow new ‘orange economy’ November 7, 2019
- Folk Research Centre gets assistance October 27, 2019
- Prize-giving ceremony for Kwéyòl Poetry Competition on today October 10, 2019
- Saint Lucia participates in Taiwan National Day celebrations October 9, 2019