Share This On:
(NEWS ROOM GUYANA) — Twenty-four-year-old Jafar Carter of Haslington Housing Scheme, East Coast Demerara was remanded to prison Wednesday for allegedly robbing a female Police Officer at the Shell Gas Station on Regent Street, Georgetown.
Carter appeared before City Magistrate Faith Mcgusty and pleaded not guilty to the charge, which alleged that on May 25, while being armed with a pair of scissors, he robbed Shamain Timmerman of a $5,000 bag, $26,000 cell phone and $5,000 cash.
Police Prosecutor, Ceon Blackman told the court that the victim is a member of the Guyana Police Force (GPF) and on the day in question, she was walking along Regent Street with colleagues when Carter emerged from an alleyway and attacked her.
Blackman told the court that Timmerman ran into the Gas Station for safety, but Carter gave chase, placed the scissors at the victim’s side and took away her handbag with the items inside.
The matter was reported to the Police Station and Carter was later arrested.
The Prosecutor objection to bail and told the court that the accused was positively identified by the victim and her colleagues.
Magistrate McGusty remanded Carter to prison until June 19.
More Guyana News Stories
- Guyana: Tuschen residents nabbed with over 90lbs of marijuana October 16, 2019
- UPDATE: Five killed in Guyana accident October 15, 2019
- UPDATE: 5 killed in horrific traffic accident in Guyana October 15, 2019
- Guyana: Several dead in horrific East Bank accident October 15, 2019
- Guyana: Mother identifies son strangled to death with belt October 14, 2019
- Guyana: Three injured in drive-by shooting at gold dealership October 14, 2019