Share This On:
(CMC) – The Guyana government says the vote of no confidence filed against it by the Opposition leader Bharrat Jagdeo will be heard on December 21.
Government Chief Whip and Social Protection Minister, Amna Ali, has described the motion filed by the general secretary of the main opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP) as hypocritical.
Jagdeo, a former president, said whether the PPP wins or loses the no confidence motion, he believes the country will benefit from the debate surrounding it, “because we believe we will get a chance once again to point out what the electorate said to them when they rejected them at these polls, that their policies are all wrong and damaging our prospects for the future and the well-being of all of our people across Guyana.”
“The Leader of the Opposition is laying this motion almost as a diversion. We are in the process of debating the budget of 2019 (and) if an opposition is able to oppose the passage of a budget …it has the same impact, a major financial document, it has the same impact of a notion of no confidence.
But government ministers have in the past few days said that the motion is a diversion.
“We are in the process of debating the budget of 2019 (and) if an opposition is able to oppose the passage of a budget …it has the same impact, a major financial document, it has the same impact of a notion of no confidence,” Foreign Affairs Minister Carl Greenidge said recently.
The coalition government holds a slender one seat majority in the 65-member National Assembly
More Guyana News Stories
- Pilot survives plane crash in Guyana October 18, 2019
- Guyana: Man sodomized and murdered 4-year-old stepson October 18, 2019
- Guyana: Ex-soldier found guilty of beheading uncle October 18, 2019
- Guyana imports over $10.9 billion in snacks: minister October 18, 2019
- Guyana: Tuschen residents nabbed with over 90lbs of marijuana October 16, 2019
- UPDATE: Five killed in Guyana accident October 15, 2019
- UPDATE: 5 killed in horrific traffic accident in Guyana October 15, 2019