Share This On:
(GUYANA CHRONICLE) — Police have launched an investigation into the vandalising of a tomb at the Number 66 Cemetery, Corentyne, Region Six on Wednesday evening.
The family of the late Roopnarine Kowelasar, 60, who died on February 23 after prolonged illness, was shocked to find his tomb vandalised and his decomposed body tossed outside of his grave.
The perpetrators, from all indications, believe Kowelasar was buried with valuables.
The man’s wife, Tarwattie Persaud, related that her husband was not laid to rest with valuables and the situation has left her deeply distressed.
On Thursday morning, workers near the cemetery were alerted by a strong stench. Upon investigating the source of the smell, they found the vandalised tomb of Kowelasar and quickly informed family members.
Around midday on Thursday, the tomb was rebuilt and the body was laid to rest once again.
More Guyana News Stories
- Guyana: Port Kaituma miner stabbed to death with scissors February 25, 2020
- Guyana: Teen girl commits suicide after alleged sexual assault February 24, 2020
- Guyana celebrates 1st oil shipment after major discovery February 21, 2020
- Guyana: Cop charged with sexual assault of woman February 20, 2020
- Guyana: Rose Hall man ‘busted’ with cocaine February 10, 2020