Share This On:
Acting Director of Prisons in Guyana, Gladwin Samuels, has described it as a “plus” that no Guyanese is incarcerated at the Bordelais Correctional Facility (BCF) in Saint Lucia, likewise there are no Saint Lucian in the South American country’s prison system.
Samuels, who is in Saint Lucia, reportedly accompanying his wife on a training programe until Friday, May 17, pointed out that despite the significant Guyanese population in Saint Lucia, not one Guyanese is among the 504 inmates at BCF.
He said of the estimated 2,150 inmates in Guyana prisons, none are Saint Lucian.
“Of the 504 prisoners in the facility here in Saint Lucia, I am proud that despite the Guyanese population in Saint Lucia [is] so high that we actually have no Guyanese in prison,” he told HTS.
“And fortunately for Saint Lucia as well, we currently have in the vicinity of 2,150 prisoners back home and we have no Saint Lucians, so I guess it’s a plus for both countries,” Samuels added.
According to HTS, this is Samuels’ second visit to Saint Lucia. His first was for a training programme about 15 years ago.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM