Share This On:
(NEWS ROOM) — The conductor of a Route 32 minibus BWW 7543 which crashed and burst into flames Thursday afternoon is nursing first-degree burns at the West Demerara Regional Hospital.
He has been identified as 43-year-old Carlton Alfred of 59 Zeelugt, West Coast Demerara. He received burns to his hands, chest abdomen and foot.
News Room was reliably informed that the minibus was speeding in the direction of Vreed-En-Hoop when the driver, 47-year-old Rajesh Dhanaram, crashed into a utility pole at Hague.Two passengers along with the driver also received minor injuries and were treated and discharged from the hospital.
News Room understands that the driver claimed he had just fueled up at Anna Catherina Gas Station and in the vicinity of Hague, a passenger shouted that there was a fire inside the bus.
The driver claimed he applied breaks and pulled to the corner, but because of the wetness of the road, his vehicle skidded and crashed into the utility pole.
However, passengers debunked the driver’s version of events.
Passengers said the driver was speeding and overtook another vehicle and in the process lost control of the bus and crashed.
The driver of the minibus remained in police custody up until 19:00hrs Thursday but was subsequently released on bail.
- Guyana: Large ganja farm destroyed in Canje
- Guyana: Woman and grandchild killed after tree falls on kitchen
- Guyana: Man stabs brother to death
- Guyana: Indigenous chiefs maintain they will not let outsiders in their villages
- Guyana: Minibus driver and conductor arrested for packing minibus — breaking COVID rule
- Guyanese accused of “careless, callous behaviour” as COVID-19 cases rise
- Man stabs mother-in-law to death in Guyana
- Guyana: Dead newborn in bag treated as homicide, police reviews CCTV footage
- Guyana: Escaped COVID-19 patient captured in Brazil