Guyana: Businessman remanded for attempted murder of differently-abled man called ‘Short Boss’

Guyana: Businessman remanded for attempted murder of differently-abled man called ‘Short Boss’
Abdul Imran Khan
Abdul Imran Khan

(GUYANA CHRONICLE) — Addul Imran Khan was on Thursday remanded to prison for the attempted murder of a differently-abled man, Romario Baljeet called ‘Short Boss’.

The 32-year-old Khan, who lives at 11 Austin Street, Campbellville and who is the owner of a construction company, made an appearance before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

It was alleged that on October 28, 2018 at Main Street, Georgetown, with intent to kill, Khan unlawfully and maliciously wounded Baljeet.

The businessman was not required to plead to the indictable charge.

Police prosecutor Simone Payne objected to bail due to the seriousness of the offence and due to the fact that the virtual compliant was hospitalised.

The accused was represented by attorney-at-law Glen Hanamon, who told the court that the facts which were presented by police prosecution do not justify an attempted murder charge.

He further stated that on Thursday morning, the victim voluntarily checked himself into the hospital so that police could get the magistrate to remand his client.

According to the prosecution, on the day in question at around 02:00hrs, the virtual complainant went to the Palm Court night club where he and a friend spent an hour.

As they were about to leave, the accused and another male were standing at the gate in the path of the duo. Balgeet and his friend decided to walk between the accused and the accused dealt the victim two punches to his head and face causing him to fall.

The accused then armed himself with a glass bottle and drinking glass and proceeded to smash them on the right side of the victim’s face, causing him to sustain injuries. He then kicked the differently-abled man.

The victim was picked up in an unconscious state and taken to the Woodlands Hospital where two surgeries were done on his face. More treatment is still to be undertaken on the injured man.

Police prosecutor Simone Payne added that the medical report and statements are still outstanding.

Bail was refused by the Chief Magistrate and Khan was remanded until 19 November, 2018.

Reports are that the accused and his family have been attempting to contact the injured Baljeet and sources also indicate that a sum of $15M was offered to the injured man to settle the matter.


No posts to display