Guyana: Boy, 5, loses four fingers after lighting squib

By News Room Guyana

 Share This On:

Five-year-old Darrin Jaigobin

(NEWS ROOM GUYANA) – Five-year-old Darrin Jaigobin of Non Pariel, East Coast Demerara is now hospitalized after losing four fingers when a squib he lit exploded in his hand.

His mother, 24-year-old Shirley George, told the News Room that she did not know he had the squib and only realized when she heard the explosion. She explained that he found it in the yard.

Mostly likely it was from those in the neighbourhood who used a lot of squibs over the holiday period.

“I went outside to transfer my flower plants and heard something blow off in the house. I wanted to what it was, when I went I saw the boy come out with his hand bleeding and no fingers. I got confused and rushed him to the hospital,” the mother of two said.

He is now a patient at the Georgetown Public Hospital.

She noted that Jaigobin is very smart and not known to be mischievous.

“His teachers always tell me he does do really good in school and me never get no problem with this boy.”

“He’s telling me that he cannot live without this hand and I told him ‘no you can live with one hand, it will be okay. He’s thinking about these things in his head,” the mother said.

The family is seeking assistance as they struggle to keep up with transportation costs traveling every day to the hospital. Anyone willing to assist can contact 618 2172.

This article was posted in its entirety as received by stlucianewsonline.com. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of stlucianewsonline.com, its sponsors or advertisers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.