Share This On:
(NEWS ROOM GUYANA) — Delon Blake, a 39-year-old man of Kumuni Creek, Demerara River was on Thursday sentenced to 20 years imprisonment for raping a 77-year-old woman in 2017.
Earlier this week, Blake confessed to the crime before Justice Simone Morris- Ramlall at the High Court.
Blake admitted that on June 20, 2017, in the county of Demerara, he engaged in sexual penetration with the elderly woman without her consent.
Justice Morris-Ramlall, in imposing the sentence, took into consideration that violence was used during the commission of the crime since Blake raped the elderly woman and stole her cell phone after.
The Judge also considered the fact that Blake pleaded guilty and threw himself to the mercy of the court.
“It baffles and disturbs the minds” were the words of the Judge when she considered the circumstances in which the elderly woman was raped.
The Judge said Blake needs “psychological intervention” and ordered that he undergo counselling while serving his 20-year sentence.
The State was represented by Prosecutor Tuanna Hardy while Blake was represented by Rabindra Mohabir.
- Guyana: Indigenous chiefs maintain they will not let outsiders in their villages
- Guyana: Minibus driver and conductor arrested for packing minibus — breaking COVID rule
- Guyanese accused of “careless, callous behaviour” as COVID-19 cases rise
- Man stabs mother-in-law to death in Guyana
- Guyana: Dead newborn in bag treated as homicide, police reviews CCTV footage
- Guyana: Escaped COVID-19 patient captured in Brazil
- Guyana: Newborn baby dumped in plastic bag
- CARICOM Observer Team for Guyana elections recount arrives in Guyana
- Guyana: Porknocker murdered by woman over missing gun