Share This On:
Jamaican Dancehall entertainer Vybz Kartel was found guilty of murder on Thursday, March 13, 2014 in the Home Circuit Court of Jamaica, after a 65- day long trial.
Kartel, whose real name is Adidja Palmer was jointly charged with three of his friends, Shawn Campbell, Kahira Jones and Andre St John for the death of 27-year-old Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams.
The fourth person accused of murder Shane Williams was found not guilty.
The quintet went on trial on November 20, 2013. They had been in custody since September 2011.
The accusation is that the three accused beat Williams to death at Kartel’s house, over two missing guns. According to reports, the prosecution relied on circumstantial evidence and common design to prove its case against the men.
Reports indicate that the eleven-member jury began deliberating at 3:45 p.m. on Thursday. Initially, they deliberated for an hour and 53 minutes before returning a 10-1 verdict. They were sent back to reconsider because the verdict was not unanimous.
The jurors then went back to consider the matter before again returning to the courtroom. Those found guilty will be sentenced on March 27, 2014.
More Caribbean Stories
- Trinidad MP Barry Padarath robbed by gunman November 18, 2019
- Trinidad: Woman dies after being shot in her vehicle November 18, 2019
- Jamaica: Social media sensation Ivany Wright shot three times November 18, 2019
- Maduro’s military stands in the way of a Bolivia repeat in Venezuela November 18, 2019
- Trinidad man sacrificed life to save pregnant wife November 18, 2019