Share This On:
(SNO) — Saint Lucians could be digging deeper into their pockets for bus fares soon as the government will consider whether they will be raised.
The Allen Chastenet-led cabinet has ordered the Road Transport Board to review bus fares on the island, HTS News has reported.
The disclosure was made in a letter to President of the National Council on Public Transport Godfrey Ferdinand.
“Cabinet further agreed that the Road Transport Board shall review bus fares, to determine whether the bus fare increase recommended in 2013 are adequate and examine and recommend necessary reforms to the section,” the letter written by Lenita Joseph, chief transport officer said.
Ferdinand said over the past 10 years there has been no increase in bus fares in Saint Lucia.
“So, we are looking at an increase in the bus fare,” he told HTS.
A report from the Road Transport Board on the bus fare increase is expected to be submitted to Cabinet in the coming weeks.
Guy Joseph is the minister in charge of transport.
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM
- 16-year-old among victims of Dominica plane crash February 17, 2020 6:31 PM
- Three Saint Lucians attend World Summit 2020 in Korea February 17, 2020 2:08 PM
- Items found in sea as Dominica plane crash rescue mission continues February 17, 2020 10:37 AM
- BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: Reports of plane crash in Dominica February 16, 2020 8:28 PM