Share This On:
(SNO) — Saint Lucians could be digging deeper into their pockets for bus fares soon as the government will consider whether they will be raised.
The Allen Chastenet-led cabinet has ordered the Road Transport Board to review bus fares on the island, HTS News has reported.
The disclosure was made in a letter to President of the National Council on Public Transport Godfrey Ferdinand.
“Cabinet further agreed that the Road Transport Board shall review bus fares, to determine whether the bus fare increase recommended in 2013 are adequate and examine and recommend necessary reforms to the section,” the letter written by Lenita Joseph, chief transport officer said.
Ferdinand said over the past 10 years there has been no increase in bus fares in Saint Lucia.
“So, we are looking at an increase in the bus fare,” he told HTS.
A report from the Road Transport Board on the bus fare increase is expected to be submitted to Cabinet in the coming weeks.
Guy Joseph is the minister in charge of transport.
- Qiana Joseph to participate in Women’s T20 Grand Slam Franchise Tournament November 20, 2019 12:55 AM
- Saint Lucia misses Gold Cup playoffs after falling to Montserrat November 20, 2019 12:08 AM
- US government warns of travel to Dominica; calls for restraint November 19, 2019 6:34 PM
- Dominica’s opposition leader strikes back; blames police for unrest in Roseau November 19, 2019 6:19 PM
- OECS chairman calls for “calm” in Dominica November 19, 2019 5:19 PM
- UPDATE: Dominica’s PM condemns unrest in Roseau; blames opposition UWP (see video) November 19, 2019 4:23 PM
- Saint Lucian in Taiwan’s top TV singing contest November 19, 2019 8:06 AM
- Turmoil in Dominica as protesters and police clash (see video) November 19, 2019 7:55 AM
- Mayor Francis unhappy over disarmament of cop by bandits November 19, 2019 7:34 AM