Share This On:
(SNO) – Prime Minister Allen Chastanet has said that his government is presently in negotiations for the establishment of a medical school in Saint Lucia.
The vision, according to the prime minister, is to house the school in buildings at the site of the new St Jude Hospital that were not built up to the standard for a hospital.
“Given that the previous buildings were not built up to standard for a hospital, our Government is currently negotiating with several institutions to allow for the establishment of a Medical University in the buildings which were previously constructed,” he stated.
He did not name the institutions his government was in negotiations with.
He described this as a “strategic move.”
“This will serve as a strategic move as it will allow both the hospital and the university to benefit from the services and opportunities of each other,” the prime minister said.
Meanwhile, he stated that work on the Reconstruction of St Jude Hospital continues.
“This project will deliver a 90-bed facility that will cater for both inpatient and outpatient services,” he stated.
Chastanet said the project involves the construction of the following:
a) A new wing to incorporate all the functions and services of the existing East and Surgical Wings.
b) Integration through retrofitting of some existing buildings to achieve a fully functioning hospital to match the services of a level 4 facility; and
c) Revision of the internal layout of buildings to be integrated for functional efficacy and compliance to minimum standards.
- Ministry of Agriculture promotes green economy January 24, 2020 2:09 PM
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition announces winners January 24, 2020 9:52 AM
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM