Share This On:
(SNO) – Prime Minister Allen Chastanet has said that his government is presently in negotiations for the establishment of a medical school in Saint Lucia.
The vision, according to the prime minister, is to house the school in buildings at the site of the new St Jude Hospital that were not built up to the standard for a hospital.
“Given that the previous buildings were not built up to standard for a hospital, our Government is currently negotiating with several institutions to allow for the establishment of a Medical University in the buildings which were previously constructed,” he stated.
He did not name the institutions his government was in negotiations with.
He described this as a “strategic move.”
“This will serve as a strategic move as it will allow both the hospital and the university to benefit from the services and opportunities of each other,” the prime minister said.
Meanwhile, he stated that work on the Reconstruction of St Jude Hospital continues.
“This project will deliver a 90-bed facility that will cater for both inpatient and outpatient services,” he stated.
Chastanet said the project involves the construction of the following:
a) A new wing to incorporate all the functions and services of the existing East and Surgical Wings.
b) Integration through retrofitting of some existing buildings to achieve a fully functioning hospital to match the services of a level 4 facility; and
c) Revision of the internal layout of buildings to be integrated for functional efficacy and compliance to minimum standards.
- George Floyd death: Widespread unrest as curfews defied across US
- ‘Saint Lucia will reopen its borders this week to visitors and nationals’
- Third tropical system may develop before Atlantic Hurricane Season officially starts
- Jamaica: Herbs man says he has cure for COVID-19, every disease
- What happened in the last moments of George Floyd’s life
- Saint Lucia and Republic of Kosovo sign visa waiver agreement
- Saint Lucia considering phased reopening of Grade Six and Form Five classes
- Mother and children homeless after Ciceron fire
- UPDATE: Fire on abandoned building in Castries now under control (+photos and videos)