Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – The Government of Saint Lucia is saddened by news of the fire on Sunday March 25th 2018 which destroyed the Folk Research Centre headquarters at Mount Pleasant.
“The work of the Folk Research Centre is of immense importance to the people of Saint Lucia,” said Minister for Equity, Social Justice and Empowerment, Honourable Lenard Montoute.
“We hope that fire officials will be able to get to the bottom of what caused this fire. However, we agree with the members of the board that the work of the FRC is more than just a building and we are committed as a Government to assisting in any way we can in the rebuilding efforts of the Folk Research Centre. Right now we know that a lot of persons in the cultural fraternity, and in Saint Lucia as a whole, who have been dedicated to the work of the FRC, feel this loss very deeply as this structure and the cultural history contained in it is part of all of us.”
The Minister said he hopes the Government can assist in finding the FRC a temporary home and added that this is a call for all to revisit how we preserve our heritage.
Since 1973, the Folk Research Centre has been devoted to preserving our cultural legacy and been an avenue for research and promoting cultural events such as Creole Heritage Month.
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 18, 2019 6:04 AM
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM