Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – Acting Prime Minister Honourable Ezechiel Joseph has commended the police for their quick action following a shooting incident in Castries on Tuesday afternoon where one person was shot dead and five persons were injured.
The Government of Saint Lucia states its immense concern about the recent violence which has transpired in the city and the Acting Prime Minister and Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries, Physical Planning, Natural Resources and Co-operatives, expressed sympathies to the families of those affected and those who have been left traumatized by this violent incident within the city.
“We want to thank the average Saint Lucians who came to the aid of those who were injured and pulled others out of harm’s way,” said the Acting Prime Minister. “Despite the circumstances, there was true heroism showed by regular everyday people and we thank and commend them all. We also want to thank the visitors to our island, in particular two elective medical students who serve at Victoria Hospital, who were in the vicinity at the time and tended to the injured.
“We have also received reports about the quick response of the police and emergency personnel and we commend them for restoring calm to the city following this devastating incident.”
The Acting Prime Minister reiterated the Government’s zero-tolerance policy on crime and gang violence and stressed the commitment to create a peaceful and safe country for all citizens and visitors.
“Such incidents can never become the norm in our country,” stated Minister Joseph. “We must all help the police to carry out their duties in bringing this malaise on our nation to an end.”
Minister Joseph recognized the efforts of the Ministry for Security, the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) and the Castries City Council in making the city safer and asked that anyone with information about the latest incidents to contact the police.
- Ministry of Agriculture promotes green economy January 24, 2020 2:09 PM
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition announces winners January 24, 2020 9:52 AM
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM