Share This On:
GIS – Minister in the Ministry of Economic Development, Housing, Urban Renewal, Transport, and Civil Aviation, Hon. Herod Stanislaus, stated that there can be no national economic development without the people of a country having access to quality affordable housing.
The minister’s statement was part of a presentation made at the second session of the debate on the Estimates of Revenue and Expenditure, last Thursday. This, he said, was one of the main reasons for the increase in the allocation of funding to the ministry.
“The estimates provided for my ministry’s housing program an amount of $25,544, 397—an increase of over 100 percent from last year,” Mr Stanislaus said. “This allocation gives you an indication of how committed we are to providing adequate housing to the people of this country. I personally believe that there cannot be economic development if your people can not afford quality housing.”
The minister elaborated on the commitment of the Department of Housing and Urban Renewal in meeting their mandate.
“The Department of Housing and Urban Renewal is mandated to ensure the efficient delivery of affordable housing options, and an effective framework for the sustainable development of urban settlements in Saint Lucia,” he said. “In so doing the agency will focus on developing and implementing affordable and sustainable housing, and related service delivery systems capable of assisting in the alleviation, and ultimately the eradication of poverty in communities.”
The department will also prioritize the renewal of urban centres.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM