Celebrated worldwide, during one week, GEW aims to engage, connect, mentor and inspire potential entrepreneurs through a series of activities hosted by partner organizations.
Global Entrepreneurship Week is a worldwide movement of entrepreneurial people, stimulating the economy by unleashing their enterprising talents and turning their ideas into reality. It aims to inspire the next generation of future entrepreneurs and business leaders by building and developing their confidence and ambitions.
· Enterprise UK and the Kauffman Foundation (the world’s largest entrepreneurship foundation based in the US) founded the very first Global Entrepreneurship Week in 2008.
· GEW has attracted world leaders who recognize that entrepreneurship serves as a cornerstone of economic prosperity and global stability. President Barack Obama, Prime Minister David Cameron, and Prince Charles of the UK, are among the many international leaders that have participated in GEW.
· The Governor General, Her Excellency Dame Pearlette Louisy, showed her support to GEW (St. Lucia) by attending the launch held in October 2011. The week was a resounding success in St Lucia with 200 events and activities delivered island wide by over 10 000 students, educational institutions, educators, entrepreneurs, business leaders, individuals, non-profit organizations, and government officials. The event gathered 57 key partners hosting activities or providing in-kind support.
· GEW activities include competitions, lectures, panel discussions, workshops, youth activities, business expos, exhibitions and network gathering.
· GEW 2012 gained support from 84 partners, with approximately 40,000 participants in 63 activities.
· GEW 2013 saw 37 partners, hosting 51 activities to over 75,000 participants, both virtual and in-person.
· GEW (St. Lucia) was nominated in 2 categories at the annual Global Entrepreneurial Congress (GEC) 2013, hosted in Moscow, Russia in March 2014: Most Partners per Capita and Most Activities per Capita. St. Lucia emerged winner of the “Most Partners Per Capita” award. This is an outstanding achievement for St. Lucia.
Through GEW, it is recognized that entrepreneurship is a force for good and can lift people out of poverty, enable people to take control of their own lives, or simply turn their passions into profit. It’s more than just a week; it offers a fantastic opportunity for us to access networks across the world, share best practices and inspire our future entrepreneurs.